Before I do that I'll tell you what I did this weekend. It's nothing as exciting as say, riding in the rain, but I believe it will inspire you guys or at least make you feel better about your mental stability. On Saturday morning I got up at 5:00AM to go to Road Atlanta and help my daughters school. It was the WLA Run Road Atlanta (World Language Academy).
|Long sleeve shirt for WLA Run Road Atlanta|
There was a 10K run which began at 8:00AM and then a 5K run at 9:30AM. My wife Lisa helped at registration. It stopped raining for the 10K start which was led out by the Road Atlanta Corvette. I thought that was really cool. It's a 2.5 mile course by the way and as they rounded the back side of it the bottom fell out. I stood under the pavilion roof watching and waiting for the nearly 100 runners to come sloshing down the hill onto pit road. I don't like running but I felt a sort of kinship with these guys. I've been in races in some miserable weather too so I started yelling words of encouragement to them as they ran by.
|Running in the rain at Road Atlanta|
Before I make this list I need to give you guys a disclaimer in case you show up at one of the events and I'm not there. It's basically a wish list. I hope to do everything on the list but life happens. My list of priorities is short and my love for my family is BIG! Thankfully they love me too and I usually get to race a whole bunch during the year. So here's my list of things to do as it stands right now.
- Feb 11th - Winter Bike League from Athens to Baxter's Multisport in Gainesville (and back).
- Feb 18th - Chainbuster 6/9 Hour MTB Race at Tribble Mill Park in Lawrenceville, GA.
- Feb 25th - Hincapie Training Series Weekend #2 in Greenville, SC. Road race Saturday, Crit Sunday morning at the BMW Test Track.
- March 10th - Dirty Spokes Duathlon at Ft. Yargo Park, Winder, GA. with my daughter!
- March 17th - Chainbuster 6/9 Hour MTB Race at Conyers Horse Park.
- April 14th - State Crit Championships - Macon, GA (this is a big fat maybe)
- April 22nd - Gone Riding XC Race #1 at Conyers Horse Park (another big fat maybe, Sunday)
- April 28th - Athens Twilight Crit, Athens GA - my 3rd attempt to qualify for the evening race.
- May 5th - Chainbuster 6/9 Hour MTB Race at Fort Yargo, Winder, GA.
- May 12-13 - LAP Century and Gainesville Omnium. Ride Saturday morning, Race in the evening.
- May 26-28 - National Road Race Championships in Greenville, SC. Planning Hotel stay w/ family.
- OR May 27 - Hartwell Challenge of the Century
- July 7th - State Road Race Championships Fairmount, GA
- July 21-22 - Brenau College Omnium, Gainesville, GA
- July 25-29 - Georgia Gran Prix. 4 day stage race beginning at Road Atlanta.
- Aug 18th - Chainbuster 6/9 Hour MTB Race at Paynes Creek Trails, Hartwell, GA.
I'm also swayed by my friends. Just like anybody else I have a certain group of friends that I'll jump off a bridge with so if any one of them is dying to do a particular event I try to do it too. There are roadies who like the solitary ride and roadies who need people with them. I'm the latter. I mean who's gonna back up my "fish" stories.
|'11 Hincapie Training Series, SeanP, StephenS, Me, DavidS|
Here's a picture of the BMW Test Track race. It's really a great race because the track is wide open. Plenty of room to dodge catastrophe or advance at will. I blow up every time on the back stretch on the last lap. The draft plays a big role in this one. If you pull out to early the head wind will make you pay.
|2010 Hincapie Training Series BMW Test Track|
Thanks for reading! See you all out there soon!